Recommended spam.lists and/or sendmail dnsbl settings?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Dec 5 22:24:00 GMT 2007

on 12/4/2007 5:57 PM Budi Febrianto spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>>> This is what I currently have in sendmail.mc
>>>
>>> FEATURE(`dnsbl',`sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org', `"554 Rejected "
>>> $&{client_addr} " - see http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/"')dnl
>>> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `dnsbl.njabl.org', `"554 Rejected " $&{client_addr}
>>> " - see http://dnsbl.njabl.org/method.html"')dnl
>>> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net',         `"554 Rejected "
>>> $&{client_addr} " found in bl.spamcop.net"')dnl
>>> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `chinanet.blackholes.us', `"554 Rejected "
>>> $&{client_addr} " found in chinanet.blackholes.us"')dnl
>>>

>> If you put your spamhaus lookups at the bottom, you will generate less
>> traffic to them. The sendmail RBL lookups are serial and stop on the
>> first positive.
> ah, so if I put zen.spamhaus.org at the bottom of the list, it will
> reduce a lot of query to spamhaus, so I should be safe ( I hope so).
> I will put bl.spamcop.net at first, and  two or three others before
> zen.spamhaus.org.

Spamcop will probably catch a large portion, at least 60% or better.
You could also put cbl.abuseat.org before spamhaus, even if it is a double
lookup, because that list is a significant portion of the zen list, and will
cut lookups to zen even more.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and