cut off by spamhaus free use?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Mon Dec 3 15:00:53 GMT 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Jeff Mills wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:22:00 +1100
> From: Jeff Mills <Jeff.Mills at versacold.com.au>
> To: MailScanner discussion <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
> Subject: RE: cut off by spamhaus free use?
>

>>> Yes it happened to one of my installs. Unfortunately, somebody had
>>> used their domain name in a spam attack, so the server got
>> thousands
>>> of extra inbound emails. It was enough for spamhaus to
>> block the servers.
>>>
>> And it appears that it is an automated process to be blocked,
>> but only a manual unblock.
>

> Yes!
> One of the things I have done in my servers is move the spamhaus list to
> the bottom of my list of RBL's.
> That way, spamhaus is only queried when none of the others match. I find
> that spamcop gets more than the others.

I've had false positive problems with spamcop in the past.  I put
dnsbl.sorbs.net into action in sendmail this morning, appears to be ok.

I had contact with a human at spamhaus, but they aren't very forthcoming
as to why I got cut off.  It would be nice if they had sent postmaster at colby.edu
a warning, maybe with some numbers attached.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College