OT: cut off by spamhaus free use?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:04:09 GMT 2007

On 02/12/2007, Jeff A. Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:
> Gang,
>
> Has anybody ever had SpamHaus cut off the free use of DNSBL
> for your site?  All of our inbound email started getting this:
>
> reject=451 4.4.3 Temporary lookup failure of [IP number] at zen.spamhaus.org
>
> on Saturday morning.  I removed Zen usage from my sendmail
> config and my email started flowing in again.  I looked at their
> usage page (http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html)
> and believe I meet their qualifications (I use caching DNS on our
> sendmail box too).  But maybe they disagree; I haven't heard back.
>
> Anybody else ever had the rug pulled out from under their email?
>
> BTW, MailScanner and SpamAssassin are doing a great job of killing
> spam, even without any DNSBL in the mix.  Today's numbers so far:
>
> Total messages scanned:        23070
> Total spams tagged:            12240
> Total spams delivered:         715
> Total spams deleted:           11612
>
> Way to go Julian!  We hope you get your new liver for Christmas too.
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College

Several have reported this. Some have been able to pinpoint this to
the use of forwarders (that is, their ISP got blocked), some
haven't....  In which case they seem to be doing excessive lookups to
the volume they have, or.... Spamhaus simply is mistaken... And where
are you supposed to complain then...?:-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn