MailTools and MailScanner...

ajos1 at onion.demon.co.uk ajos1 at onion.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 2 21:47:34 GMT 2007

-

The reply back is:

============================

 From: mark at zzzzzzzz    to    ajos1 at zzzzzzzz
 Date:  Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:35:59 +0100
 Subject:  ajos1 - Re: MailTools and MailScanner...
 CC/Multi-To:  (none)
 Attachments:   (none)

* ajos1 at zzzzzzzz (ajos1 at zzzzzzzz) [071202 21:07]:
> Not sure if you use MailScanner or not...

No, never heard of it.  Don't know where it is kept (not on CPAN).

> Since MailTools 2.01 - We have an error... and we are not sure if it
> is a MailTools problem or a MailScanner problem... See the message at
> the end...

The MailTools 2.xx code is a massive clean-up.  One of the things which
changed, is a stricter use of clean coding techniques.

> [root at onion perl_ext]# MailScanner -v | head -20
> Variable "$FIELD_NAME" is not imported at
>    /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 6907.

Understandable.  Yes an effect of my cleanups.

> package Mail::Header;
>                      $arr->[1] =~ /\A$FIELD_NAME/o;

Something very bad is happening here: code is added to an existing
module.  This code should either be added in the core Mail::Header
package OR should be added using the OO extension mechanism.

The author of the mailscanner has to clean-up his code, IMO.  I could
export the $FIELD_NAME, but preferrably not.
--
Regards,
               MarkOv