OT: cut off by spamhaus free use?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Sun Dec 2 21:45:00 GMT 2007

Gang,

Has anybody ever had SpamHaus cut off the free use of DNSBL
for your site?  All of our inbound email started getting this:

reject=451 4.4.3 Temporary lookup failure of [IP number] at zen.spamhaus.org

on Saturday morning.  I removed Zen usage from my sendmail
config and my email started flowing in again.  I looked at their
usage page (http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html)
and believe I meet their qualifications (I use caching DNS on our
sendmail box too).  But maybe they disagree; I haven't heard back.

Anybody else ever had the rug pulled out from under their email?

BTW, MailScanner and SpamAssassin are doing a great job of killing
spam, even without any DNSBL in the mix.  Today's numbers so far:

Total messages scanned:        23070
Total spams tagged:            12240
Total spams delivered:         715
Total spams deleted:           11612

Way to go Julian!  We hope you get your new liver for Christmas too.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College