Strange problem on new install

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Dec 2 02:33:34 GMT 2007

When I get home I will take a look at this one for you. I have never
seen this error before.

Am currently very bored in Dulles (dull by nature too) airport in
Washington DC, tapping on my shiny new iPhone. It is remarkably usable
and I can type a lot faster than on a normal mobile phone or stylus
+PDA, particularly once you learn a few tricks of the spelling
corrector.

--
Jules

On 1 Dec 2007, at 13:43, "Sarah Michaelson"
<waytotheweb at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 01/12/2007, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> on 12/1/2007 7:44 AM Sarah Michaelson spake the following:
>>> We're getting the following error on a new installation where
>>> MailScanner refused to start:
>>>
>>> root at server1 [~]# /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner --debug
>>> Variable "$FIELD_NAME" is not imported at
>>> /usr/mailscanner/lib/MailScanner/Message.pm line 6907.
>>> Variable "$FIELD_NAME" is not imported at
>>> /usr/mailscanner/lib/MailScanner/Message.pm line 6910.
>>> Global symbol "$FIELD_NAME" requires explicit package name at
>>> /usr/mailscanner/lib/MailScanner/Message.pm line 6907.
>>> Global symbol "$FIELD_NAME" requires explicit package name at
>>> /usr/mailscanner/lib/MailScanner/Message.pm line 6910.
>>> Compilation failed in require at /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner
>>> line 79.
>>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/mailscanner/bin/
>>> MailScanner line 79.
>>>
>>> The server is running  CentOS 4.5, exim 4.68, perl 5.8.8,
>>> MailScanner 4.65.3-1
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>> That install directory looks strange. Did you perhaps install with
>> the source
>> package when the redhat rpm version might have been a better fit?
>
> That is where we always install it and have had no problems before. We
> use our own install package for cPanel/exim servers. Nothing has
> recently changed in that package and we've installed MailScanner on
> other servers today and in the last few days with  no problems.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sarah Michaelson
>
> Way to the Web Ltd