Heavy increase in spam influx this week?

Gareth list-mailscanner at linguaphone.com
Fri Aug 31 19:35:57 IST 2007

cat /var/log/maillog | grep -E "(connection count|concurrency)"
Looking through my logs there have been the odd one or two IP addresses in
the past with about 10 active connections at once but starting from the 27th
I started to see connection of over 20 concurrent.

I have dropped the concurrent connections per IP from 50 down to 5. We only
have a 1Mbps internet connection so if any genuine person tries to send us
more than that at the same time I would prefer to limit it to conserve
bandwidth anyway.

I think I'll do what you did and reduce the smptd_timeout aswell.