DCC not scoring from within MailScanner

Sarah Trayser waytotheweb at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 30 21:50:33 IST 2007

On 30/08/2007, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Got it working. All I did was uncomment the dcc_path line in
> > /etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf. I'm not sure why it is
> > commented out by default (if it is), or why it is apparently working
> > this way on other peoples' servers but not ours, but at any rate with
> > that line not commented out we are getting scores on the DCC_CHECK
> > from within Mailscanner on all our servers.
> >
> When you tested it from the command line, you will have a "login" shell
> running with a $PATH that probably includes /usr/local/bin. When
> MailScanner is started by init, there is no login shell and you will
> have a much shorter default $PATH, which doesn't usually include
> /usr/local/bin. The difference comes down to what is set in which
> "dot-files" in root's home directory. "init" won't usually have run any
> of these at all. On Solaris, this path is set in the /etc/default files,
> but I don't know where Linux sets it.

Thank you for the explanation, I think I understand it a bit better
now. I also found out why we commented out the dcc_path line. At some
point in the past there was no if loadplugin statement in the
mailscanner.cf file and if the plugin was not installed, spamassassin
would not work if the dcc_path and pyzor_path were set. At that time I
guess DCC did work without the dcc_path set. Anyway, it's all good
now. Thanks!

--
Regards,
Sarah Trayser