How can MailScanner "push back"?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Aug 23 23:38:35 IST 2007

Steve Freegard spake the following on 8/23/2007 1:12 PM:
> Hi Leland,
>
> Leland J. Steinke wrote:
>> Michael Huntley wrote:
>>> Greylisting stopped a terrible mail storm on our system.
>>
>> We've been using sqlgrey for almost 18 months now.  The spammers have
>> adapted.
>>

> We've got a modified greylisting implementation in our BarricadeMX
> product which is very different to SQLgrey and has so far proven 100%
> effective against the botnet spam that passes traditional greylistng (no
> extra drawbacks from normal greylisting except for more bandwidth being
> used).  Ping me off-list if you would like to try a demo of it.
>
>> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>>  > Considering blocking DSL, cable and other 'user' IP ranges. There are
>>  > some RBL's focussing on these ranges. It should give you some air.
>>
>> We use PSBL and DSBL, in addition to our own RBL.  We are an ISP, so I
>> am loath to use RBLs such as PBL to reject connections, instead using
>> them in SA to jack up spam scores.
>
> I like the DSBL a lot - but you should probably consider adding
> cbl.abuseat.org as it will catch a *lot* of extra stuff missed by your
> existing two.
>
> Instead of using the PBL you could use dynablock.njabl.org and bypass
> any of your own dial-up/DSL ranges.

Before you use dynablock.njabl.org you should read this;
http://njabl.org/dynablock.html.
<quote>
It's been more than 6 months since NJABL maintenance of dynablock was
terminated and dynablock became a copy of the Spamhaus PBL. The dynablock zone
will be emptied sometime soon and the dynablock.njabl.org zone will be shut
down. If you're still using dynablock.njabl.org, it's long past time to switch
to pbl.spamhaus.org.
</quote>

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...