Outbound queue delivery

Gottschalk, David dgottsc at emory.edu
Fri Aug 17 15:02:11 IST 2007

Over the last few days, I've been building a mail relay on Solaris using sendmail. The box is also running the latest version of MailScanner, so mail can get checked before going out.

I edited the sendmail startup script, and added MailScanner and a sendmail queue runner. I've ran into something strange though now, and I've got a few questions.

Mail was sitting in outbound queue for a long period of time after being processed by MailScanner. I had set the queue runner to process mail every 15 minutes, so that's understandable.

I set the queue to run peristantly with the "-qp" option, and mail now gets delivered immediately after scanning.

I thought though that MailScanner kicked off a sendmail process to deliver the message immediately after scanning. Is that a incorrect assumption?

I have five main production boxes that deliver mail on average 10 seconds or less after MailScanner finishes scanning them, and they have a sendmail queue runner at running every 15 mins. They have a large volume of mail going through them though.

So could someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

David Gottschalk