[tkojm@clamav.net: [Clamav-announce] Sourcefire acquires ClamAV]

Dave Shariff Yadallee - System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the Problem root at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
Fri Aug 17 13:13:05 IST 2007

Just came across the wire.  Hopefully Clamav stays open source
and is still free software.

----- Forwarded message from Tomasz Kojm <tkojm at clamav.net> -----

X-NetKnow-InComing-4.63.1-2-MailScanner-Watermark: 1187781257.00551 at bTFop2FQc8cowalXEzXMhQ
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:12:39 +0200
From: Tomasz Kojm <tkojm at clamav.net>
To: clamav-announce at lists.clamav.net
Subject: [Clamav-announce] Sourcefire acquires ClamAV

Dear ClamAV users,

On August 17, Sourcefire, the creators of Snort, acquired the ClamAV project.
The full announcement is available here:

http://www.sourcefire.com/products/clamav/

We'd like to thank everyone in the ClamAV community for their dedication to
the project. The acquisition by Sourcefire is a testament to the hard work of
the entire ClamAV community in developing cutting edge technology that truly
showcases the promise of the open source model. With the additional resources
Sourcefire will provide we look forward to working with the community to
continue the advancement of ClamAV.

Sourcefire now owns ClamAV project and related trademarks, as well as the
source code copyrights held by the five principal members of the ClamAV team.
Sourcefire will also assume control of the ClamAV project including: the
ClamAV.org domain, web site and web site content; and the ClamAV Sourceforge
project page.

What's most important is that from the end-user perspective very little will
change beyond the additional resources Sourcefire will provide in our
continued efforts to advance the ClamAV technology and improve our ability to
interact with the open source community. The core team will continue to lead
the advancement of ClamAV and the CVD as employees of Sourcefire. Both the
ClamAV engine and the signature database will remain under GPL.

For more information please visit our website and the following FAQ page:

http://www.clamav.net/support/sf-faq

The ClamAV core team.

--
   oo    .....         Tomasz Kojm <tkojm at clamav.net>