perl upgrade borks ms

Harondel J. Sibble mailscanner at PDSCC.COM
Thu Aug 16 00:10:32 IST 2007

Okay, Centos 3.x machine running MS 4.57.6-1

Yum upgraded Perl from 5.805 to 5.8.5 this morning and things went sideways.

Restarting MS gives the following

# /etc/init.d/MailScanner restart
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [FAILED]
         incoming postfix:                                 [  OK  ]
         outgoing postfix:                                 [  OK  ]
Starting MailScanner daemons:
         incoming postfix:                                 [  OK  ]
         outgoing postfix:                                 [  OK  ]
         MailScanner:        is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm
line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 79.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 79.
                                                           [  OK  ]

Googling got me a few things, one involved a perlinstaller script from CPanel
which we don't use. Trying to download and install the package anyways as per
here
http://www.configserver.co.uk/blog/index.php?catid=6&results=1&page=5
<http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/33425-eximstats-
failed-perl-problem.html>

I tried reinstalling the modules in question, but both

install Compress::Zlib
install Bundle::CPAN

fail with a lot of the following errors

/02_methods............ok
t/03_file...............Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or
string at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/Scalar/Util.pm
line 30.

Also tried rerunning the install script for the current version of MS and
then installing the newly recreated rpm, no joy. This was one of the
suggestions in the list logs, but sadly it didn't help.

Any suggestions on how to fix this quickly?

Thanks

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting