How to manually test an email?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:54:24 IST 2007

On 15/08/07, Chris Yuzik <itdept at fractalweb.com> wrote:
> paul @ firespam wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've had quite a few random spams getting through my MailScanner servers
> > recently and I'd like to investigate a bit more...
> >
> > I have saved a spam email that got through as a txt file with the full
> > headers.
> >
> > How can I run this through MailScanner manually and see the output?
> >
> > I know I can do:
> >     spamassassin -t < /tmp/email.txt
> >
> > but does this just do spamassassin checks or does it include the
> > MailScanner stuff too?
>
> Paul,
>
> I get a whopping 64.8 points:

(snip)
>    29 CRM114_CHECK           CRM114: message is SPAM with crm114-score
> -146.7300

That is what crm114 does to your scoring... It will be (more or less)
the sole decision maker, making all the other SA stuff a vast degree
less relevant.
That might be fine, provided you trust it (CRM114) implicitly... But
uf you don't, use a more ... lenient... multiplication factor, or even
fixed scores.

> Hope this helps you.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris