Yum/RPM install

Peter Nitschke email at ace.net.au
Tue Aug 14 04:38:06 IST 2007

Julian, I wasn't thinking of you changing what already works, I was just
wanting to clarify whether I would be heading for any problems if I do it
myself with RPM's.

For me, it's a comfort level thing.  I am comfortable with RPM's as I know
how to install/upgrade/remove them, see what's there and what version, and
it's easy.  I can also make my own repo for the servers I manage and
upgrade them all faster by adding eg a new MailScanner RPM to my local
repo.  I will still need to log into the servers to make any conf changes
(though that could probably also be scripted), but I won't have to log in,
manually download the latest package, untar it, run install.sh and then
wait while it re-compiles everything even when some or most of the required
modules exist, and then check the conf files.

I know this is only workable for me once I have moved all the servers to
the same OS, but I am trying to get some of my life back.  :)

The only thing that would make it easier, would be comments in the
changelog about anything outside of the RPM that I need to pay attention
to, eg settings that get added to other files such as v320.pre etc.

Cheers,

Peter

On 13/08/2007 at 6:17 PM Julian Field wrote:

>How about this?
>
>Would you like me to create another ClamAV+SA distribution that used
>SRPMs in the same way my MailScanner install script does?
>
>It will take a bit of work on my part to build all the RPMs, but easy
>enough to maintain once I've got it there.
>
>Does that help you, or not? I'm not going to waste the effort, it's a
>significant amount of time.
>
>Peter Nitschke wrote:
>> Which is why I like the concept of doing it all with RPMs.
>>
>> Most are available on the major repo sites, the handful that aren't I
>have
>> let Julian's script create, then made a local repo for them so I can do
>> repeat installs simply and quickly to other PC's.
>>
>> I realise this is OS specific, but most of us with multiple servers to
>> manage have probably standardised on a particular OS, in my case Centos
>5.
>>
>> The MS install script pretty much creates then installs everything as
>> RPM's, and the recent SA/Clam install script recommends using clam
RPM's,