Yum/RPM install

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 18:17:13 IST 2007

How about this?

Would you like me to create another ClamAV+SA distribution that used
SRPMs in the same way my MailScanner install script does?

It will take a bit of work on my part to build all the RPMs, but easy
enough to maintain once I've got it there.

Does that help you, or not? I'm not going to waste the effort, it's a
significant amount of time.

Peter Nitschke wrote:
> Which is why I like the concept of doing it all with RPMs.
>
> Most are available on the major repo sites, the handful that aren't I have
> let Julian's script create, then made a local repo for them so I can do
> repeat installs simply and quickly to other PC's.
>
> I realise this is OS specific, but most of us with multiple servers to
> manage have probably standardised on a particular OS, in my case Centos 5.
>
> The MS install script pretty much creates then installs everything as
> RPM's, and the recent SA/Clam install script recommends using clam RPM's,
> so I figure that going the last step to all RPM's makes good sense.
>
> Julians scripts do a few tweak, eg to SA v3xx.pre files which is easy
> enough to duplicate, but would I be missing anything else?
>
> My thoughts are towards lower manual maintenance by being able to do future
> upgrades all by RPM, and by being able to create servers with a known
> predictable setup which doesn't tend to happen if you configure them all
> individually.
>
> Peter

> On 13/08/2007 at 5:33 PM Gareth wrote:
>

>> Managing perl modules would be a real pain as you would practically have
>> install them as separate RPM's aswell. RPM has its own versioning and
>> upgrade system which perl also has. Trying to mix them both at the same
>> time
>> can cause lots of issues.

Jules

- --