Using ClamAV to find spam

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri Aug 3 13:46:45 IST 2007

Andy Wright wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Andy Wright spake the following on 8/2/2007 4:09 PM:

>>> Hi Brent,
>>>
>>> thanks for the suggestion, although I'm reluctant to add yet more
>>> plugins - most of the spams are already being scored at 20+  (how high
>>> does this have to get before virus scanning is skipped?)
>>>
>>> I guess what I'm after is a way for MailScanner to handle things
>>> differently if the return from ClamAV is "Email.*, Html.*" etc  Now that
>>> Clam seems to be more than just a *virus* finder might it make sense for
>>> MailScanner to look more closely at the returned result ?  Maybe an
>>> excuse for Julian to up the options well beyond the 300 mark ?!
>>>
>>> Andy.
>>>
>> AFAIK all their signatures give sanesecurity in their responses. Maybe an
>> option to look for this and just give spam scores.
>> For me, I don't really care right now what stops them, as long as it
>> doesn't
>> go to the users. Maybe later if I start reporting ratios to someone, I
>> might.
>>

> Most do, but there are a few along the lines of "Email.Phising.RB-1221"
>
> I do report results to clients so this would be a nice thing to be able
> to correct.

I think so as well, see my response to "Re: Request for comments 3 - Re:
MailScanner and password protected archives" I posted on the 25th of
last month. ClamAV does not always equal virus, SA does not always equal
spam. I think the gap will close even more as time goes on.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of separating the
identification/tagging from the reporting/action of each message. I am
apparently alone in this.

DAve

Veterans?