how to block mail where From and To are the same?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 00:12:12 IST 2007

On 27/04/07, Daniel Maher <daniel.maher at ubisoft.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> Lately I have been receiving an increasingly large amount of spam where both
> the From and To fields are identical (and, of course, forged).  The net
> result is that many of my users appear to be receiving spam from themselves,
> which is causing some distress amongst the user base.
>

> Now, there are a handful of ways to deal with this situation; however, like
> always, the community probably already knows the best way to block – or at
> least add SA points to – such spam.
>

> I'm using Postfix 2.0 (yes, I know), and the newest MailScanner &
> SpamAssassin.  Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

One could probably solve this in a few ways, but.... since you use
Postfix, I'd guess that using an access thingie would be the way to
go... Don't handle these forgeries more than necessary.
 I never see these anymore (apart from the odd bit of backscatter...:)
since I have the luxury of being able to deny any _outside_ sender
claiming to be from my domain (very simple check.. IIRC, 2.0 should be
able to do that;). Combine with a header check and you're all set:)
(Yeah, I'm low on detail.... have a few days of, due to labour day...
If you like some details, we can have 'em off-list come wednesday)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn