Password Protected .rar files

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Sat Apr 28 10:24:33 IST 2007

Hi all

One of my clients has recently been sent a password protected rar
file. The body of the mail is a gif image which uses social
engineering (Based on the user having a virus and the attached file
has the miracle cure) to open this file.

This went sailing through MailScanner, passed F-Prot, Clam &
Bitdefender and passed the option to not allow password protected
archive files. I have checked my path to unrar, which is fine and all
the other parameters are all ok too.

First question: Any one else seen these?

Second: Are they being stopped by anything (Messagelabs detected this
as a virus, hence my concern)?

Finally: Shouldn't MailScanner have stopped this or is it only
password protected zip files that it stops (And in turn shouldn't
this be extended to cover all unscannable files?)

I have blocked all rar files now in the file type rules until I can
get to the bottom of this. I have also sent a copy to the nice folks
at ClamAV for good measure.

Regards

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned
for viruses and dangerous content by the Technology Tiger MailScanner.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ