Upgrade to clamav 0.90.2 makes scanning extremely slow

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Thu Apr 26 22:26:05 IST 2007

DAve wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote:
>> Julian Field wrote:
>>>
>>> What's wrong with just using clamavmodule? You need to use
>>> Mail::ClamAV 0.20 with ClamAV 0.90 and later, which is all included
>>> in my ClamAV+SA package.
>>>
>>> I don't understand the sudden rush to clamd at all. Can someone
>>> explain to me please?
>>>
>>> Jules.
>>>
>> The only advantage I see is that it's all maintained by a single
>> source.  That is, the ClamAV team maintains clamd and clamdscan
>> together.  There's no third party perl package that may not be up to
>> date.  I don't know if there's a performance improvement one way or
>> the other.  It's conceivable that clamdscan/clamd performs better in
>> a multiprocessor environment by spreading the load across other
>> processors.  It's just as possible that the overhead of the
>> communications between the two costs too much to justify doing it
>> that way.
>>
>> I would probably suggest that clamdscan/clamd always be used instead
>> of just clamscan.  From what I've seen using clamscan alone is the
>> worst possible case performance wise.
>>
>> Rich
>
> I can't disagree with that but I can say performance is not
> unreasonable using clamscan. Messages for us take from 2 to 6 seconds
> to process in batches from 1 to 4 messages. We stop most of our
> messages long before they ever hit AV scanning. Not using clamdscan or
> clamavmodule leaves us with one less process to monitor on our MS
> servers, and changes/updates made by the ClamAV team have never
> adversely affected us (so far...).
>
> We may move up to clamdscan or clamavmodule in the near future when we
> upgrade the MS servers, but right now I can see no compelling reason
> to do so. I tend to always favor stability over performance, and I
> abhor surprises on Monday mornings. Call me a Luddite, but new ain't
> always better.
>
> Also, it's not like we don't process a few connections either, here
> are a single days stats for one of our servers.
>
> Rejected by Greylisting       196,047
> Blocked for Pipelining         11,072
> Blocked for RFC                18,528
> Blocked for RBL                94,857
> Blocked for Bad Sender          2,746
> Blocked for No Account         12,000
> Found Spam Message             18,778
> Messages Delivered             33,840
>
> DAve

I understand completely.  I'm sure that for many the clamscan approach
is satisfactory -- clean and simple.  My situation is such that I can't
use clamscan at all.  We process nearly 2 million messages per day and
clamscan can't keep up.  If we want to use ClamAV at all  then
clamavmodule is our only choice.  In a high volume environment small
performance improvements make huge differences overall.

~rich