Upgrade to clamav 0.90.2 makes scanning extremely slow

Daniel Maher daniel.maher at ubisoft.com
Thu Apr 26 22:08:47 IST 2007

> What's wrong with just using clamavmodule? You need to use Mail::ClamAV
> 0.20 with ClamAV 0.90 and later, which is all included in my ClamAV+SA
> package.
>
> I don't understand the sudden rush to clamd at all. Can someone explain
> to me please?
>
> Jules.

Hello,

While I certainly cannot speak for everybody who is using clamd, my reason for going this route is simple: I don't want to deal with the Mail::ClamAV module.  Period.

Having to update it via CPAN is a bit of a pain.  We have our own distribution which we use internally, and running CPAN _at all_ basically breaks every rule we have concerning package management and maintenance; therefore, if I can avoid doing it, I will.

There's also the peace of mind in knowing that if the clam package is updated, I don't have to worry about a newly deprecated Perl module preventing me from scanning mail - a situation for which there is relatively recent precedent.

A happy side-effect of using clamd, in my personal experience today, has been reduced resource utilisation - beyond even that of clamavmodule(!).

Of course, I'd never be so bold as to suggest that clamd is "the way it should be"; but for my environment specifically, it's the better of the three clam-related options.

--
  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

"How can a man choose between Fresh and Fly?  And believe me, there IS a difference." - Crack Stuntman, 2007.