Upgrade to clamav 0.90.2 makes scanning extremely slow

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Thu Apr 26 21:27:02 IST 2007

Julian Field wrote:

> What's wrong with just using clamavmodule? You need to use Mail::ClamAV
> 0.20 with ClamAV 0.90 and later, which is all included in my ClamAV+SA
> package.
>
> I don't understand the sudden rush to clamd at all. Can someone explain
> to me please?
>
> Jules.

The only advantage I see is that it's all maintained by a single
source.  That is, the ClamAV team maintains clamd and clamdscan
together.  There's no third party perl package that may not be up to
date.  I don't know if there's a performance improvement one way or the
other.  It's conceivable that clamdscan/clamd performs better in a
multiprocessor environment by spreading the load across other
processors.  It's just as possible that the overhead of the
communications between the two costs too much to justify doing it that way.

I would probably suggest that clamdscan/clamd always be used instead of
just clamscan.  From what I've seen using clamscan alone is the worst
possible case performance wise.

Rich