Fast Dual Core or slower Quad Core..?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:19:33 IST 2007

On 26/04/07, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk> wrote:
> As subject, I'm speccing up a box and am now looking at the DL360 G5
> range.
>
> Given the box should only be running OpenSuse/Postfix/MailScanner with
> ClamAV and SpamAssassin would people suggest a faster dual core CPU i.e.
> 2.3Ghz or a slower Quad Core CPU i.e. 1.6Ghz?
>
> I'm not familiar enough with how linux and the applications mentioned
> interact to know which would be of the most use and why.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
Depends on a few things... Like the volume you anticipate to handle with them.
Things to keep in mind: You need lots of RAM. At least 1 GiB/CPU ...
Well, RAM is cheap these days:-).
Also, there is a tradeoff between faster CPUs and more utnits (CPUs)
to schedule work on. If you have massive amounts of messages/day I'd
recommend the more units.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn