Wich POP3 server

Richard Frovarp Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Wed Apr 18 14:42:31 IST 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> Claude Gagné spake the following on 4/17/2007 11:49 AM:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently searching for a good POP3. I heard that dovecot is pretty
>> good.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
> I just had to say this at the top of the thread.
> Use what comes with the version of linux you install. Pop3 is less intensive
> on a server because the mail is pulled to the client and deleted.

Assuming default setup of the email clients. There are always users like
me who turn it off and have the client keep a copy on the remote server.
Then use multiple machines to access mail. IMAP on the other hand can be
setup to have the user download the messages and delete them off the
server just like a default POP3. IMAP and POP3 are tuned to different
scenarios and the defaults in the mail clients are opposite. However,
the end client can change that behavior.