Time Spent on Spam

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Apr 13 22:19:15 IST 2007

Peter Russell spake the following on 4/12/2007 6:52 PM:
> We are reviewing our spam defences. A review in the sense of our
> polices, should we store low scoring spam and send reports, or forward
> to modded subjects and config outlook rules etc
>
> Part of this is documented what we currently do and i am trying to work
> out how much time i spend on mailscanner, responding to queries about
> spam, explaining spam to people - with a view to addressing some of the
> more problematic aspects with stuff like explanations on our intranet
> about why people get spam, where it comes from, what we are doing and
> some stats. Inc comparisons between the effort we make and the effort
> other companies make.
>
> So, i was wondering if anyone could offer some thoughts on what sort of
> time they spend combating mail/virus/phishing etc

I mark and forward low-scoring as an attachment. That way it is somewhat
disarmed in the preview window of the Microsoft clients. The subject is modded
with {Spam Score x.x} and the users can decide if they want to risk it. If you
also make sure the message ID is in the report, it makes it real easy to
whitelist the chronic stuff in Mailwatch.

I don't get any complaints, and I have some exec's that are picky. They can
open the attachment and have an unmolested message to print, read, or ???

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and