SPF_Fail score too low?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Apr 6 15:54:29 IST 2007

Matt Kettler wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>> Matt Kettler wrote:
>>
> snip
> It's gotchas like that which make me suggest starting off at neutral.
> Even though you can reliably know what machines SHOULD be allowed to
> send mail from your domain, you might have servers that DO send mail
> from your domain even though they should not that provide critical
> business services.

I understand the problem, but I'm still unclear on how one test for it.
If you put up a domain with neutral or softfail, how do you know when a
hit occurs?  If I spoof your domain and send to a third party, they'll
either silently drop the email or send 550 back to me.  How do *you*
know when it's safe to walk a neutral up to softfail and from there to
hardfail?  When I first installed spf in my dns I searched all over the
spf web site for clues on how folks are doing that.  Never found
anything...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500