SPF_Fail score too low?

Rick Chadderdon mailscanner at yeticomputers.com
Fri Apr 6 02:32:08 IST 2007

Res wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Matt Kettler wrote:
>

>> hardfail without testing.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  That *IS* the biggest problem.
> I used softfail for a couple months to ensure it was all good before
> moving to hardfail.
>
> Many people have no clue they get told "You should have an SPF record"
> so they do a quick google and use the first damned thing they come
> accross regardless of if its broken example or not.

I'm with Res here...  I see no purpose for softfail other than allowing
others to use SA for scoring.  I don't use SPF on all of my domains
because some of them have users that will have issues with it.  The
domains I use it on, I always hardfail.  I suppose I can see softfail as
useful if all you *want* to do is help people score mail purporting to
be from you, but you'll never know if it's helping.

Rick