How to flag SPAM in MS Exchange/Outlook using Mailscanner?

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Thu Apr 5 16:13:13 IST 2007

I have posted this in the past to this mailing list.

This is what we use with great results.  It would do exactly what you want without the need to change subject lines add additional headers, etc..

http://www.smtptracker.com/

It sits on the Exchange servers and adds the custom MS SCL info to any messages that fail Mailscanner/Spam Assassin.

Here is one of my previous replies to this:

I don't think that Exchange acts on any X-Header for SCL values (At least nothing that I have tried so far).  I tried everything to get messages to wind up in the Junk Mail folder through only X-Header modifications.  I had no luck.

I finally wound up using http://smtptracker.com  It is only 35.00 for an enterprise license and 500.00 for the source code if you need it.  The University of Florida has been using it for 2 years now.  It is just a transport that sits on an exchange server that adds the SCL onto passing messages going by that have failed your Spam Assassin check.  Whatever it adds to force junk mail folder is NOT X-header based.  It's some custom exchange attribute I believe.  I even opened a call with Microsoft to see if there was some x-header I could add to guarantee a message would wind up in Junk Mail folder.  I was told that the SCL value is in some extended attribute in each message. (documented in Exchange 2007 beta as being an x-header, maybe they are changing this moving forward? I don't know)

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Regulations Governing Practice Before the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained herein is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used by a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.