New Server Specs?

Paul Hutchings paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 11:12:07 IST 2007

Folks,

Looking for a little feedback.

I've been evaluating MailScanner for a couple of weeks now and it seems
pretty clear it's more than up to what we want, so I'm looking at
replacing our existing relay hardware.

Given the MAQ says "A Dual Xeon with 2 GB of RAM and 15K SCSI disks can
process up to 1,4 million of messages/day" and we accept and process
maybe 30,000 on a busy week I think it's fair to say that pretty much
any new server we buy will be more than sufficient.
My question is, broadly speaking which would be best to have more of,
CPU, ram, or disk subsystem?
I'm looking at the cheapest HP/Sun/Dell servers which tend to be SATA
disks and slower dual-core CPUs but with plenty of memory slots.
TIA,
Paul

Paul Hutchings
Network Administrator, MIRA Ltd.
Tel: 44 (0)24 7635 5378, Fax: 44 (0)24 7635 8378
mailto:paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk

--
MIRA Ltd.

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England.

Registered in England No. 402570
VAT Registration  GB 114 5409 96

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the intended recipient.
If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.
You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.