newbie looking for debug syntax and filter feeding help

John Baker johnnyb at marlboro.edu
Wed Sep 27 21:57:45 IST 2006

Hello all

I'm in the first month at my first sys admin job trying to figure out
how to use Mailscanner and its related applications correctly.

My predecessor set up a version 4.50.15 on Ubuntu Breezy in January with
a very heavily customized MailScanner.conf file. Then it sat running
with a learning Bayes filter with no maintenance between March and
September while nobody was on this job until it got all buggered up last
week.

For the most part I have been able to figure out what it does and how to
adjust it. But for command line debugging of Spam Assassin and
particularly the care and feeding of the Bayes filter I've run into
command syntax issues that are giving me a headache.

We use it with postfix and ,accordingly, its set to run as user and
group postfix. But this: SpamAssassin User State Dir =
/var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin is set as well. So, Spamassasin
debugging for things like the bayes filter fail because it looks for the
database files in ~/.spamassasin directory for whatever user it sees as
running the command. For example.

su postfix -p -c 'spamassassin -D -p
/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint'

returns:

[10528] dbg: bayes: no dbs present, cannot tie DB R/O:
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
[10528] dbg: bayes: not scoring message, returning undef
[10528] dbg: bayes: opportunistic call attempt failed, DB not readable

But bayes.mutex  bayes_seen  bayes_toks are all sitting in
/var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/ and being updated by the
MailScanner/Spamassassin process. I just can't seem to get the syntax
right for doing anything with them manually.

So, what would be the best command syntax making spamassasin and
sa-learn run manually as they would from MailScanner.

And in general, could anyone point me in the direction of a good
FAQ/tutorial for feeding the bayes filter spam and ham?

Thanks

John

Network Systems Administrator
Marlboro College
Phone: 451-7551 off campus; 551 on campus