OT: Email server configuration(s)

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Wed Sep 27 16:43:19 IST 2006

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> This is far off topic, but please give me some feedback to which is the
> best way for a few things.  Plus I have a problem.
>
> System Info:
> OS - CentOS, the latest of about 6 months ago.  I don't know how to get
> the version for it

cat /etc/redhat-release

[snip]

> 2.  Hostname/Domain/DMZ
> Is the best way to setup a mail server to put it in a DMZ and have the
> host name and domain name be something like: WoodenMS2.woodmaclaw.com?

no comments

> 3.  How many people use MailScanner to scan/archive outgoing email?  I
> use it as a gateway to the exchange server.  It has never occurred to me
> to use it for outgoing mail, but for policy sakes it would be nice to
> archive the email.  (approved policy)  I have not clue on where to start
> for setting this up.

An outgoing MS server will help you:
1. Enforce uniform policies for outgoing mails (filename/filetype checks)
2. More importantly check outgoing mails for viruses (can be
embarrassing to have an infected machine sending viruses to your customers)
3. Block outgoing smtp completely (except from the exchange server to
the MS server)

- dhawal