Mailscanner and DNS

Daniel Maher daniel.maher at ubisoft.com
Wed Sep 27 14:06:55 IST 2006

To be fair, this isn't a /requirement/, but in a lot of cases it can help speed things up quite a bit.  For example, if you're running your MTA at your office, but your DNS is handled remotely by an upstream ISP, you should really look into a local caching DNS server.

That said, there are certainly instances when running bind on your mail servers isn't necessary.  For example, in our environment, our mail servers are connected via fibre to the same switch as our DNS servers (also fibre).  The additional 2 or 3 milliseconds that it takes to do a DNS lookup via this method are not significant enough to necessitate the local DNS process.

As always, "general rules" are general for a reason - YMMV. :)

--
  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.