mcafee autoupdate fails for ver 5100

ajos1 at onion.demon.co.uk ajos1 at onion.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 00:35:16 IST 2006

-

I battled with this for months last year... it was working on some machines and not others... even though they were identical.

I found out that machines with direct access to Internet were fine... but machines that were behind a proxy server were not... the usual firewall problem...

So in the end... I added 4 lines (not 2 ... being paranoid about casing)... to /etc/crontab .

Once I added in the ftp_proxy and http_proxy lines... it started to work out... ammended the proxy for your network...  (I also did similar settings in the profile.d files incase the crontab ones did not work).

[root at tbshspx2 /etc]# cat crontab
=================================

SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/
FTP_PROXY=http://172.16.55.247:3128/
ftp_proxy=http://172.16.55.247:3128/
HTTP_PROXY=http://172.16.55.247:8080/
http_proxy=http://172.16.55.247:8080/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly