Recipients addresses appearing since upgrade

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Sat Sep 23 15:09:18 IST 2006

> >On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Wayne wrote:
> >
> > > A serious situation has arisen since upgrading to Mailscanner 4,55
> > > the following details are being added
> > > to our mailing list postings: Example ....

> > > It is obvious the MailScanner upgrade has altered a setting that was
> > > not set before.
> > >
> > > As a matter of urgency can someone tell me what it could be that
> > > needs altering back to its original state.
> >
> >I haven't come across this before, but the obvious place to look is in
> >MailScanner.conf:
> >
> ># Do you want to add the Envelope-To: header?
> ># This can be useful for tracking spam destinations, but should be
> ># used with care due to possible privacy concerns with the use of
> ># Bcc: headers by users.
> ># This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> >Add Envelope To Header = no
> >
> >If you have that set to yes then that might explain your problem.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Jim Holland
> >System Administrator
> >MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Wayne wrote:

> Thanks Jim
>
> Both the To and From Envelopes are set to no :-( even commenting the
> lines out with # seem to make no difference. Don't know if I should
> or not but after each alteration in .conf I am restarting MailScanner.

Now it gets more difficult.  Is your MailScanner.conf file in the standard
place (/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf)?  Could there be another copy in
some other place that is being used instead?  Have you changed the type of
MailScanner installation between versions (eg using a tarball for one and
an rpm or other package for another)?  Perhaps you then have a situation
where you have a conflict between the old and new versions.

In the meantime, if you are desperate, try stopping MailScanner,
commenting out the following section of the Message.pm file which should
be in /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner, and then restarting MailScanner:

  # Do they all want the To header
  if (MailScanner::Config::Value('addenvto', $this) !~ /0/) {
    # Get the actual text for the header value
    foreach $to (@{$this->{to}}) {
      $tolist{$to} = 1;
    }
    $to = join(', ', sort keys %tolist);

    $envtoheader = MailScanner::Config::Value('envtoheader', $this);
    # Now reflow the To list in case it is very long
    $to = $this->ReflowHeader($envtoheader, $to);

    $global::MS->{mta}->ReplaceHeader($this, $envtoheader, $to);
  }

Clearly the problem is that somehow the value of addenvto (which comes
from AddEnvelopeToHeader) is not zero.