Greylisting...

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Fri Sep 22 19:41:49 IST 2006

Jeremy Blonde a écrit :

> Just wanted to ask the list if they are using greylisting and if
> they've enountered any problems with using it.  I've implemented a
> small delay and it seems to be working okay right now.

Jeremy,

I have it running (milter-greylist) on my 3 inbound servers.  They share
the same state data.  I keep the state data for 14 days and delay emails
5 minutes.

Unlike most people using greylisting I do not have it enabled all the
time.  I have a cron job that looks at my inqueue and if it goes higher
than 300 emails waiting to be processed it kicks it in.  It will revert
to greylisting-less after some time.

Using that technique, between 13% and 50% of all emails go through
greylisting on any given day. The average is 40% for last 7 days.

I configured it this way because upper management was afraid some
important email would be delayed.  By enabling it only when my servers
would anyway be swamped (and mail would be delayed) I got their approval.

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste