Will high whitelist row count adversely affect performance?

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Thu Sep 21 23:29:10 IST 2006

At the very least it will consume a lot more memory. Are you using
MailWatch? MailWatch adds some modules that allow you to put your
white and black lists into a mysql database. The modules that come
with MailWatch read everything from the database into memory, then
operate out of memory so they will still use the same amount of
memory, hosever I rewrote that module to do "on the fly" database
accesses and does not keep the list in memory. Based on the
measurements I took, the server could receive several hundred thousand
email a day without the "on the fly" lookup effecting performance.
Much less memory is used on the mail server.

Another plus is by using MailWatch, users can login and setup their
own black and white lists (if you allow it).

Remember that normally each MailScanner child has its own complete
copy of the configuration and rules. So take the amount of memory need
to store your config and rules and multiply that the number of
children you have defined for MailScanner. Which is why I wrote the
dynamic lookup module.

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:22:04 -0500
  <donald.dawson at bakerbotts.com> wrote:
>We are running MailScanner 4.52.2 and Spamassassin 3.1.1 and are
>wanting
>to increase our white list for known valid addresses.
>
>Currently we have about 10k rows in the file, but want to know if
>increasing it to 30k will adversely affect performance.
>
>We use HP DL boxes with 2 CPU's and 2 GB of memory.  We currently do
>not
>have any performance issues.
>
>Thanks,
>Donald
>
>Donald Dawson
>Security Administrator
>Baker Botts L.L.P.
>713-229-2183

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham: ka6lsw
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt, Equip, UW Photographer,
Gas Blender

Owner: Kepnet Internet Services

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"