LDAP Rejection

Daniel Maher daniel.maher at ubisoft.com
Thu Sep 21 19:25:48 IST 2006

Querying from your MTA to an Active Directory server isn't as straightforward as it should be.  This is due to the fact that Active Directory does not use the same format as LDAP by default; there are both missing and extra fields that make them different.

Unless your MTA allows for fairly advanced manipulations of both the query and result, you may need to set up an LDAP server (OpenLDAP, for example) to act as a proxy between your MTA and the AD server.  The advantage here is that you can configure the LDAP proxy to cache results as well, which lowers load on your AD server.

The LDAP proxy can (and should) be configured to deal with the pure LDAP requests coming from your MTA, forward them to the AD server, then sanitize and cache result before delivering it back to the MTA.

In our environment, each of the incoming mail servers in our cluster has a local slapd (the OpenLDAP daemon) process running on it, which performs the functions outlined above.

This is only one option of course.  Another option is to pull down the entire contents of the Active Directory on a nightly basis, and build a static map out of it that your MTA can reference directly.  This is likely less work infrastructurally, but is also not real-time, so there's a trade off there.

In any case, I can forward the relevant portions of the slapd.conf to anybody who is interested - it's a bit of a pain to set up if you've never done it before. :P

--
  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.