Curious case of the non-existent file attachment

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Tue Sep 19 11:21:11 IST 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Glenn Steen wrote:

> > So for some reason MailScanner has interpreted part of a line in an html
> > attachment as being a separate attachment:
> >
> > coworker when she asks<br>me if her feet are too ugly to wear sandals.&nbsp;
> >
> > It doesn't look like anything serious, but a curious anomaly.  (Now if
> > only I could really understand your Perl code :-)
> >
> You wouldn't happen to have the original around (Archiving perhaps?
> Nah, didn't think so:-)? Mightn't this be a bungled spam... Where the
> mime part is seriously out of whack?
> Hard to tell without the original message:)

I always set "Quarantine Whole Message = yes" for infected messages, just
for this sort of situation :-)

Anyway - see second message.  An examination of the quarantined message
does seem to have shown up the cause - misinterpretation of a text line as
being the start of a uuencoded attachment.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service