SpamAssassin Cache Size?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Sep 18 16:43:57 IST 2006

Fabien Penso wrote:
> On 9/15/06, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
> (...)
>> That's not the SpamAssassin cache (which is a thing MailScanner
>> creates, not
>> SA). That's a spamassassin owned file, and is the temp-file being used
>> by SA to
>> expire bayes tokens. Those left-over files are caused by MailScanner
>> errantly
>> timing-out SA processes during opportunistic bayes expiry.
>>
>> Fix suggestion:
>>
>> Simple: Massively extend your timeout for spammassassin in
>> MailScanner.conf
>>         SpamAssassin Timeout = 600
>
> Hmm might be it, it was setup to "10", far too short I guess. I've
> changed it to 100 and I'll see what happens.

As long as opportunistic expiry is still enabled, anything less than 5 minutes
(300 seconds) is pointless. I don't think even a very small bayes DB on a very
fast disk system could complete a real expiry run in 100 seconds, unless it was
SQL based.

Bayes expiry is a pretty slow process, but in the default config it happens at
most twice a day. (SA checks to see if there's more tokens than the limit twice
a day, if it's over, it runs an expiry to cut it down to approximately 75% of
the max.)