SpamAssassin Cache Size?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Fri Sep 15 17:31:56 IST 2006

Fabien Penso wrote:
> On 9/15/06, Randal, Phil <prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk> wrote:
>> You could stop MailScanner, delete the cache file, restart and see if
>> the problem recurs.
>
> Same here, and the problem recurs. I have a huge 2Gig within
> /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin with many files like :
>
> bayes_toks.expire19883
>
> any fix is welcome.

That's not the SpamAssassin cache (which is a thing MailScanner creates, not
SA). That's a spamassassin owned file, and is the temp-file being used by SA to
expire bayes tokens. Those left-over files are caused by MailScanner errantly
timing-out SA processes during opportunistic bayes expiry.

Fix suggestion:

Simple: Massively extend your timeout for spammassassin in MailScanner.conf
	SpamAssassin Timeout = 600

Personally, I've never had MS legitimately kill a SA process. EVER. The only
times I've had MS kill SA was when the timeouts in MS were shorter than those in
SA, or if SA was busy doing database expiry.

More involved:
	Do the above AND:
-Disable bayes_auto_expire in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
	bayes_auto_expire 0

-Create a daily cron-job to run sa-learn --force-expire. Make sure your
spam.assassin.prefs.conf is linked to a .cf file in /etc/mail/spamassassin/, or
use the -p option to tell sa-learn to parse your spam.assassin.prefs.conf.
Otherwise it might not pick up on your relocated bayes DB in /var/spool.