Attachments

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAInsurance.com
Thu Sep 14 16:47:37 IST 2006

>> Colin Jack wrote:
>>> Hmmm ... it looks like MailScanner is refusing the attachments
>>> because the .zip file contains unacceptable files ... e.g. .exe and
>>> .chm
>>>
>>> This seems a little over the zealous. We usually suggest to clients
>>> mailing .exe files (install files for example) to .zip them up to
>>> get through filters!!
>>>
>>> What is the best way to deal with this? Can I tell MailScanner not
>>> to look inside .zip files
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Colin

Colin,

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents....
What I have done here is to instruct my users to rename any executables to
.txt then instruct their recipient to rename the attachment back to .exe
once they have received it.

This does three things... first, it gets my (very technically illiterate)
users to be aware of file extensions to begin with and to know what I'm
talking about when I say this one or that one is potentially dangerous. (it
also helps them get used to renaming files) Second, since the file has come
from somebody they know (I instruct them to pre-contact the recipient so
they are expecting an executable) and has instructions on how to make the
file back into an executable, it makes them more aware of the way viruses
are propagated via email and there is less chance that someone will
inadvertently open a virus (of course I run two virus scanners to this is a
slim chance anyway). And third, and I guess most importantly, it gets the
file through any filetype checking based on the extension. (Outlook, OE...
etc..) Besides, anti-virus software will still catch viruses regardless of
the file extension.

One can argue that zipping them up is a better way to handle it but in my
experience with *my* users, I have found it's easier for them to simply
rename the file on both ends. This has been working very well here for the
last couple years... YMMV

This was a solution I didn't see mentioned so I thought I'd throw it into
the mix.

Kind regards,
Ken Goods
Network Administrator