OT: Invalid domain name during SMTP test

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 07:20:51 IST 2006

On 12/09/06, René Berber <r.berber at computer.org> wrote:
> Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:

It means that Billy has an M$ AD DNS setup according to the (idiotic)
gospel according to M$. Nothing else. Also shows why this is such a
bad idea:-).
IIRC this was deamt up to "alleviate" the problems possibly due to a
split DNS. Sigh. There is some KB article that I'm too lazy to find,
with all the (laughable) details...

> Anyway, the original problem is probably in /etc/hosts or hostname, not in DNS.  You have to see where your mail server gets its name from, with sendmail the commands:
>
> echo '$=R' | sendmail -bt -d0.10
>
> will show you the name (Canonical name) and domain info among other things.

It is a very long time since I could call myself anything even close
to a sendmail guru (editing the cf file directly was the norm
then:-)... But even back then you could certainly lie as necessary by
just setting the darned thing directly. I'd imagine this to be an m4
macro these days (that probably defaults to hostname as perceived by
the resolver/hostname command:-).

--
-- Glenn