OT: Invalid domain name during SMTP test

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Sep 12 19:04:17 IST 2006

Billy A. Pumphrey spake the following on 9/12/2006 10:29 AM:
> How do you fix this problem?  I really do not know even where to start
> with it.  Thank you
>
> Banner: WoodenMS2.woodmaclaw.local ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Tue, 12
> Sep 2006 12:48:02 -0400 [47 ms]
> Connect Time: 0.031 seconds - Good
> Transaction Time: 0.281 seconds - Good
> Relay Check: OK - This server is not an open relay.
> Rev DNS Check: OK - 68.74.55.130 resolves to
> 68-74-55-130.ded.ameritech.net
> GeoCode Info: Geocoding server is unavailable
> Session Transcript: HELO mxtoolbox.com - DIAGNOSTIC TEST - See
> http://www.mxtoolbox.com/Policy.aspx
> 501 5.0.0 Invalid domain name [31 ms]

This one is your server replying to their bad helo "HELO mxtoolbox.com -
DIAGNOSTIC TEST - See http://www.mxtoolbox.com/Policy.aspx"
Everything after the mxtoolbox.com is invalid.

> Or at dnsreport.com
>
> WARN Mail server host name in greeting WARNING: One or more of your
> mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the
> SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash,
> then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this
> domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam
> software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821
> 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an
> A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may
> use a cached DNS record.
>
> MAIL.woodmclaw.com claims to be non-existent host
> WoodenMS2.woodmaclaw.local:
> 220 WoodenMS2.woodmaclaw.local ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1; Tue, 12 Sep
> 2006 12:51:21 -0400
Don't have the .local in your hostname.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...