Spamcop.net RBL blocking emails by mistake?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Sep 12 17:02:51 IST 2006

Res spake the following on 9/11/2006 5:02 PM:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Scott Silva wrote:
>
>> What an evil person has to do is send an e-mail to your autoresponder
>> with the
>> spamtrap's address spoofed as the reply-to address or the from address.
>
> it looks for the envelope sender in received lines, dont be foolish to
> think SC dont know about forged From's, thats been around for almost as
> long as Email has

All they have to do is get your system to bounce the message. If they happen
to know where the spamtrap is, and you don't, then you really have no way of
catching it.
As simple as this;
Mailfrom Spoofed spamtrap address
mailto nonexistant user at yourdomain

Your server bounces with no user by that name because RFC's say you are
supposed to bounce it.

You are slammed into a spamcop blacklist.

Unless spamcop has gotten smart enough to screen out bounces, which they
didn't do when I got hit. Or you have some mechanism of verifying the sender
(milter-sender or some equivalent). Yes, I'm not just a ranter, I'm also a victim.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and