MailScanner stops working

Sergio García Caso sergiogc at treelogic.com
Mon Sep 11 09:00:40 IST 2006

Hello,

I have installed MailScanner 4.54.6 with Postfix 2.3, SpamAssasin 3.1.3
and ClamAV 0.88.4 in a Mail Gateway with Ubuntu 5.10.
I rotate the logs once a day.

In 'MailScanner.conf' I have 'Max Children = 5'.

Normally, when the message 'MailScanner child dying of old age' appears
in the log, MailScanner restart and it runs ok:

Sep  8 16:15:33 localhost MailScanner[4526]: MailScanner child dying of
old age
Sep  8 16:15:33 localhost MailScanner[8310]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus
Scanner version 4.54.6 starting...

then the message 'MailScanner child dying of old age' appears 4 times
more (for the other 4 children).

The problem happens when the message 'MailScanner child dying of old
age' appears less than five times in the log of  a day and the log rotates:

Sep  8 07:36:45 localhost syslogd 1.4.1#17ubuntu3: restart.

then when 'MailScanner child dying of old age' appears in the new log MS
hangs and doesn´t appear more.

Can anybody help me?
Thanks.