BETA: Max SpamAssassin Size for sendmail and Postfix

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Sep 10 19:58:52 IST 2006

I have added the new logic to the Max SpamAssassin Size configuration
option, with just about all the extra features everyone wanted in here.

# SpamAssassin is not very fast when scanning huge messages, so messages
# bigger than this value will be truncated to this length for SpamAssassin
# testing. The original message will not be affected by this. This value
# is a good compromise as very few spam messages are bigger than this.
#
# Now for the options:
# 1) <length of data in bytes>
# 2) <length of data in bytes> truncate
# 3) <length of data in bytes> continue <extra bytes allowed>
#
# 1) Put in a simple number.
#    This will be the simple cut-off point for messages that are larger than
#    this number.
# 2) Put in a number followed by 'trackback'.
#    Once the size limit is reached, MailScanner reverses towards the start
#    of the message, until it hits a line that is blank. The message passed
#    to SpamAssassin is truncated there. This stops any part-images being
#    passed to SpamAssassin, and so avoids rules which trigger on this.
# 3) Put in a number followed by 'continue' followed by another number.
#    Once the size limit is reached, MailScanner continues adding to the
data
#    passed to SpamAssassin, until at most the 2nd number of bytes have been
#    added looking for a blank line. This tries to complete the image data
#    that has been started when the 1st number of bytes has been reached,
#    while imposing a limit on the amount that can be added (to avoid
attacks).
#
# If all this confuses you, just leave it alone at "40k" as that is good.
Max SpamAssassin Size = 40k

I have only added the logic to the sendmail and Postfix versions so far,
as I want to be sure it works before I give it out to everyone.

It's on www.mailscanner.info as usual.

*Please* can you test this out for me. If you think I have gone over the
top, and just produced a system that no-one can work out how to use,
then please do tell me and I will remove bits of it again. Personally I
think it will only be used by 1% of users at most, which leads me to
think I should remove the whole thing and go back to something much
simpler again.

Your thoughts?

--
Julian Field