Spamcop.net RBL blocking emails by mistake?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Sep 8 23:41:20 IST 2006

DAve spake the following on 9/8/2006 8:39 AM:
> John Rudd wrote:

>>> Yes, spamcop have a time based entry system
>>>
>>> if its that IP's first entry its delisted after 2 hours, then if your
>>> in it again its longer, and so on, each time gets longer, its a very
>>> fair process.
>>
>> It would be a fair process if their criteria were reasonable and
>> accurate.
>>
>> Since their criteria are neither, the process is anything but fair.
>>

> I don't know if their criteria is fair or not, they never tell me their
> criteria. I know that if a spamcop subscriber turns in a message as spam
> from my server, and they list me, and the message body looks something
> like,
>
> "Hi grandson,
>
> I hope I got your email address right, your handwriting is hard to read
> with my cataracts. Grandpa passed this morning, your Mom will call you
> when you get out of class. I hate to make you miss finals so please
> don't come to the funeral. Grandpa would understand.
>
> Love Grandma"
>
> Then there is a problem with their criteria for certain.
>
> I still do not believe that a common users opinion should be the sole
> determination of what is SPAM and what is not. I get several hundred AOL
> SPAM reports I must manually unsubscribe from maillists each month
> because they sign up to gain access to a website and then don't want the
> mail. SPAM has become "mail I don't want".
>
> DAve

Any body that would report that message is using some sort of automated
system, and I don't think any automation should be used, with the exception of
spamtraps. Spamtraps are different because they aren't a legitimate address,
so anything they get should be spam.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and