Sendmail ignoring MinQueueAge after MailScanner upgrade?

Paul A Sand pas at unh.edu
Fri Sep 8 23:31:24 IST 2006

Hi --

In reference to my previous message:
http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-September/065029.html
...I totally misunderstood what was going on.

It looks as if the problem is in the KickMessage subroutine in
Sendmail.pm, which contains:

    $idlist = " -OQueueDirectory=$outqdir " if $outqdir;
    $idlist .= join(' -qI', @ids);
    [...]
    system(MailScanner::Config::Value('sendmail2') . ' -qI' . $idlist);

This results in a bad command line here. Example, broken for clarity:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail -qI -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue \
	k88HeqOs011468 -qIk88HernJ011479 -qIk88Heq6w011452 -qIk88HetWL011510

I.e., the first '-qI' stranded from its matching ID by the QueueDirectory
directive, which causes the entire queue to be processed (and MinQueueAge
to be ignored), which (in turn) causes the extraordinary number of
sendmail processes I was seeing.

Suggested small patch here:
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~sysman/MailScanner-4.55.patch

Seems also to be fixed in the beta 4.56.

--
-- Paul A. Sand                 | Relying on the government to protect your
-- University of New Hampshire  | privacy is like asking a peeping tom to