Anyone using zen.spamhaus.org?

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Sep 6 22:52:11 IST 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jim Holland wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Res wrote:
>
>>> Actually I had the most trouble with foward and reverse DNS. I turned
>>> that off because my whitelist had grown to over a couple hundred
>>> entries. With greylisting I've only had to add 5 or 6 domains.
>>
>> the vast majority of failed attempts come from no PTR's and those that
>> dont have them, tends to indicate lazy network admins so i wouldnt expect
>> them to take action on spammers either, I simply whitelisted .gov.au
>> in sendmail and qmail and alls been happy since, AOL also still do this i
>> understand, so the collateral damage cant be all that bad if tehy still do
>> it :)
>
> I use the RDNS etc checks as a kind of poor man's greylisting - I give a
> 451 to all errors and then let them try again at our higher MX.  That
> minimises the need to do whitelisting.

I can see that idea working well with no overheads.
You ever had hotmail try your secondary MX ?
Once had a disk fail, it was down for only 20 minutes in total time,
hotmail couldnt connect and rejected the msg to the sender, I tested this
out for myself in the early hours of the following morning by killing
sendmail for a couple mins, i got a reject msg back within 2 mins from
hotmail, i thought it weird and hope it was only a temp misconfig.

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd