Question

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Tue Sep 5 19:53:20 IST 2006

My hubs (I have two of them) get about 75,000 emails per day. It's a
2.4Ghz P4 Zeon processor with 512MB of RAM and dual IDE hard drives
(mirrored). They run with a load average of .10 (it goes up and down,
but on average that's what I see, this ia also only on my secondary
hub, where most of the Spam attempts to come in, the primary has even
less load and most of the real email comes in there).  However as long
as MailScanner is processing in a reasonable time the overall load
average doesn't mean too much.

There are a couple of things that brought it down a lot, Greet pause,
HELO validation (only simple validation to be sure the sending server
isn't using my own servers name or IP as its HELO string), Sender
Address Verification (smf-sav milter), Recipient Address Verificaton
(smf-sav milter), Grey listing (milter-greylist) and I also use
Connection throttling, all of which occur during the SMTP phase.

Out of the approx 75,000 per day of emails, only 2,000-3,000 get by
the SMTP phase to reach MailScanner/Spamassassin/ClamAV. Adding the
SMTP phase filtering really brings down the CPU load.

Hope this helps.

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:03:16 -0500
  "Rob Poe" <rpoe at plattesheriff.org> wrote:
>Is there a way to start MailScanner so that it processes any messages
>in it's queue, but does not accept new incoming messages?
>
>I have a client with an older linux box running MailScanner and it's
>just being crushed ... with spam....
>
>It's a Celeron 2.0 ghz / 512mb ram / dual IDE disk
>
>  10:55:02  up 19:05,  1 user,  load average: 6.23, 4.56, 4.04
>
>Running access lists in Sendmail (to block out other countries) and
>running the greet_pause feature (which is helping a lot)
>
>Seeing things like this:  Sep  5 10:56:12 mail MailScanner[25809]:
>Batch processed in 61.70 seconds
>
>I've tried 5, 3 and now 2 MS children.
>

>--
>
>Before posting, read http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham: ka6lsw
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt, Equip, UW Photographer,
Gas Blender

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"