Anyone using zen.spamhaus.org?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 08:37:54 IST 2006

On 05/09/06, Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama.com> wrote:
> John Rudd wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 4, 2006, at 5:11 PM, Glenn Steen wrote:
> >

> >> I for one work under legislation that prohibit me from flat-out
> >> rejecting _based on sender alone_ (it's a bit more involved than that,
> >> but lets leave that:-)
> >
> > What legislation is that?
> >
> > (you can answer me off list if you think it's too OT or something)
> >
> I'd love to know as well...
I'm not sure you really do, it's fairly specific to Sweden:-). This is
pretty OT, so read on only if you're really interested;-)

It's a brew of different (Swedish) laws governing "principal of
availability and open equal dealing with all subjects"... Laws
covering everything from freedom of speech(!) to how public documents
are to be archived and handled. I'm certainly no lawyer, but
thankfully a central .gov agency (Statskontoret for those who really
want to know) has made a set of guidelines for us poor "public
mailadmins" to follow. They're pretty generic, and open for _some_
interpretation, but paramount is that the collected body of laws does
not allow us to use "generic blacklists" for rejecting messages. If I
could somehow complement everything to know that a sender was actually
a Swedish subject, then perhaps I could use BLs, but... Alas not now.

This same legislation demands that any sorting/deleting has to be done
by a person, so everything I accept (this is a key point) that turn
out to be ... bad, I have to quarantine, so that a human can take care
of the actual deletions. I bend this rule a bit, by just keeping the
quarantine for three months... If no one has looked at it during that
time,. it's not really my fault (well, I do give it a quick glance now
and then:-):-).

Now for the twist: I _can_ reject (at the MTA) things that are a)
clearly not up to standards, and b) not destined for any recipient at
us.
So basically I can do a lot of early rejections... Just not based on
BLs. Not even BLs geared at standards compliance (the guidelines are
pretty forceful on this). Sigh. Isn't legislation _fun_....<note
absense of smiley>.

This set of laws exist only in Sweden (to my knowledge), and are
usually bundled up in a term like "the principle of public access"  or
somesuch (offentlighetsprincipen).
Last I looked, our politicians were busy exporting this (which is
actually mainly a good thing) to the EU, so ... we'll see what
happens;)

--
-- Glenn